[Alberg30] Bosuns Chair

Bob Chambers BlueDolphin at rivnet.net
Thu Oct 17 05:45:15 PDT 2002

I cannot emphasize too loudly the need for a backup or safety line.  If a
second halyard is not available, a method I use that works quite well is to
have two pieces of line attached to the chair each about six feet long.  I
wrap one around the mast twice and secure loosely to the chair.  I then push
this up the mast as I am going up.  Should the halyard break, the loop
around the mast will grab and you will come down, but slowly instead of
deadly.  When you reach the spreaders, you attach the second piece in like
manner above the spreaders and then remove the first.  Unfortunately, I had
the chance to test this and IT DOES WORK!

Bob Chambers

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |