[Alberg30] Running lines aft

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Wed Oct 30 19:07:18 PST 2002

Mr. A: I can describe such a system for you, which I have not quite yet finished installing on # 219.  Reefing lines run from becketted cheekblocks aft on the boom up to the aft reef cringles and down again to the blocks, then forward on the boom ( through fairleads if necessary) to a double cheek block (for 2 reefs)on the front of the boom (or on the mast--we shall see)and up through the front cringles. From there, the lines go to the base of the mast to turning blocks, then to an "organizer" on the front of the starboard main cabin roof, then to two cam cleats near the aft end of the starboard cabin roof.  By the way--a series of possibilities for mainsheet reefing were published in Practical Boat Owner, September 2000, which you may find useful. The system I describe is the same as illustrated somewhere in there, except that there is no track for using movable cheek blocks aft on the boom, as I could see no real benefit--given the propensity for reefed mainsails to set poorly regardless of hardware flexibility.
Best,
Rob Alley