[Alberg30] Hull #176

newmant at pipeline.com newmant at pipeline.com
Tue Sep 24 11:09:21 PDT 2002

The builders plate on my Alberg #176 is 3066176 which correlates with your
hull date table. I bought it second hand in 1971 and thought it was built in
1965 but the plate indicates 1966.

I am a bit concerned about the cast aluminium on my boat - mast head and deck
plate. The mast foot casting started to flake 10 years ago and I replaced the
shoe portion that had ajustment slots with a non adjustable bronze casting
that the mast rests on. This casting rests on another piece of aluminium that
is bedded and apparently screwed into the deck right over the beam. This plate
had 4 threaded holes into which 4 SS bolts were threaded to hold the shoe onto
the fixed plate. I had to epoxy the stainless screws into the plate this year
as there weren't even a suggestion of thread left in the plate. I doubt the
mast is going to go any where with all the pressure on the foot but the yard
where I kept the boat gave me alot of grief about stepping the mast this year.

I also have a fear of the cast aluminium "ears" on the masthead breaking and
letting the fore or backstay go. These were done before annodizing and I don't
know what the life is. About 10 years ago I had some thin (1/8th in.)Stainless
straps fitted on either side of the masthead, through which the gudgeons
holding the stays pass, which should hold the mast when the aluminum fails but
they have probably only hastened the oxidation of the casting.

Can replacements for any of these parts be found and is there any experience
as to when or whether they should be replaced. For the mast foot/shoe it was
easy since the casting just turned to white powder over one winter.
 | >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> This month, save on all Harken products. |