[Alberg30] Further of Black Soot

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Mon Sep 9 11:35:55 PDT 2002

Beverly,

I just recently had a very similar problem. One day I noticed a bunch of
black soot coming out with my exhaust on startup. I also had noticed
that my spark plugs were fouled. Then I had problems with the engine
rpm's changing and not responding when I changed the throttle setting.
At first, I thought this was a carburetor problem, but after removing,
checking, cleaning, and adjusting the carburetor twice, the problem was
not fixed. I then started checking other things, and discovered that I
had no compression on 2 cylinders. I then thought that my rings were
gone and the whole bottom end would need to be rebuilt. Fortunately
another alberger tipped me off to the realistic possibility that the
problem might be caused by a blown head gasket. So before removing the
engine from the boat for a bottom end rebuild, I decided to try
replacing the head gasket. That seemed to fix the problem. It took me
about a week of evenings, and the engine seems to work fine now.

So, maybe you should check your compression and see what that shows.
Also, you might want to determine whether your spark plugs are fouled
with oil or gas. And before you throw up your hands in despair, you
might want to try replacing the head gasket. It seems to have worked for
me (though I've only been running for 2 weeks since the job - so I'm
knocking on wood as I write this...)

BTW, I have an Atomic-4, and I am totally unfamiliar with Grey marine
engines. I just thought our two cases were so symptomatically similar
that maybe this advice would help you.

Good luck!

J Bergquist
Calliope #287

Beverly Dodds wrote:

>I have another problem, perhaps related to the black soot discharged
>from the exhaust from my rebuilt Gray Marine engine.
>RPM's seem to go up and down on their own, no throttle change.
>Yesterday, it finally quite.  I could restart for a minute or so and
>then it would quite again - had to be towed back.
>
>Would the stalling be related to a too rich mixture as the black soot
>may be?
>
>Bev
>A30
>StageOne

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |