[Alberg30] Atomic 4/prop Question

Kevin Blanc t.k.blanc at att.net
Mon Sep 9 17:41:00 PDT 2002

George is right on all counts.

I traded for Indigo Electronic's (www.atomic4.com) three blader. The
engine is running faster, but seems smoother and quieter (less "boomy").
It backs better and pushes through the chop noticeably better. However,
in really smooth water, the 13x7 cruises with less, oh, commotion.

I wouldn't make it the top of my list unless you are really unhappy with
what you have.

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> The standard prop for both the Atomic 4 and Greymarine powered A30s
> was a "Columbian, 2-blade, 13" diameter, 7" pitch, right-hand standard
> taper for a 7/8" diameter shaft."
>
> You're probably wondering why the boat cruises at around 1700 rpm when
> the power of the Atomic 4 is at considerably higher rpm, right?  Well,
> yes, the boat is over-propped by almost any rule of thumb.  The 13"
> diameter also puts the blade tips very close to the deadwood.  The
> books say it's all wrong.
>
> But my boat's been running this way for 28 years with no apparent ill
> effects.  I think it's not broke and won't fix it.
>
>  - George
>

> bob wrote:
>
>> For those of you that have the Atomic 4 engine, at full throttle, what
>> engine RPM and speed do you have?
>>
>> What prop size did the boats come with that had the Atomic 4 engine?
>>
>> thanks,
>> -bob

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |