[Alberg30] Re: Non skip paint job

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Sep 10 16:03:27 PDT 2002

Do not spray Awlgrip, or any two-part polyurethane paint, without
*knowing* what you are doing.  You can find the Material Safety Data
Sheets for Awlgrip online (http://www.uspaint.com/awlgrip/msds2.html)
in Word DOC format.  This paint is serious stuff and U.S. Paint
disclaims, "FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY  This product is for use by
professional, trained, personnel using proper equipment and is not
intended for sale to or use by, the general public."

Note in the MSDS where it says:

INHALATION
Can cause nasal and respiratory tract irritation.  Can cause CNS effects
including fatigue, weakness, headache, dizziness,  nausea, vomiting,
unconsciousness, coma, respiratory failure and death.  Prolonged
exposure can cause hearing impairment.

Death is a pretty ugly side-effect.  In the precautions it says:

RESPIRATORY PROTECTION/VENTILATION: Use only with adequate ventilation.
  Maintain continuous flow of fresh air.  Do not breathe vapors, spray
mists, or sanding dusts.  Use air purifying respirators fitted with
organic vapor/HEPA cartridges only if air monitoring of the work area
demonstrates solvent and particulate levels do not exceed the respirator
Maximum Use Concentration.  Use only properly fitted NIOSH approved
respirators.   Follow respirator manufacturer's directions for use.
Engineering or administrative controls should be implemented to reduce
exposure.   Paint spray booths, local exhaust, and general exhaust
systems are advisable to minimize exposure.

  PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT: Use protective equipment to prevent
contact with eyes, skin, or clothing.  Use solvent resistant safety
eyewear with splash guards.  Protective garments such as nylon or
Tyvek(R) coveralls typically used to protect from light overspray,
splatters, etc.  Saranex 23-P(R) coveralls recommended for messy
applications. Nitrile or natural rubber gloves typically used to protect
from minor contact.  For prolonged contact, neoprene gloves are better
and butyl are best.

You really do need a forced air respirator system, bringing in fresh air
away from the fumes.

  - George

   George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |