[Alberg30] Re: tiller /rudder stock connection (fwd)

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Fri Sep 13 15:14:56 PDT 2002

newmant at pipeline.com wrote:

> [...]

Ted,

I solved that problem by (1) removing the rudder cap casting and surface
gringind the 2 sides flat and parallel, and (2) SHimming the gap between
the fork piece and the rudder post casting with stainless washers. After
aout 5 years, it is again developing a little bit of play, but it has
lasted far longer than a mechanical engineer friend of mine predicted. I
also upgraded the screw in the post fitting to a bigger capscrew that
also threads into the rudder post, and the 2 allen-head set screws to
the next larger size, 1/4" I think.

> ...I used to use anti freze but...

The previous owner taught me a good trick -- Drain the tank as much as
you can (I just pump with the sink faucet), then use one bottle of the
cheapest vodka you can find for anti-freeze. Works great here in Upstate
NY where it gets *cold*. Very little to pump out, no residue or after
taste. Be sure you flush the supply line by running the faucet until
vodka comes out...

> I have read with interest the discussion of the "deck beam"...
> ...though it obviously indicated some shifting in the deck /beam joint
> following fabrication.

As long as you don't see visible delamination, it should be OK. If there
are deck crack in the area of the mast brace, that would be a serious
warning sign. As far as the trim, I've used contact cement, but every
year or 2 I have to glue the smaller pieces back on. Contact cement has
held my cloth headliner in pretty well for 16 years now, but it does get
loose around the edges where it gets brushed against.

Good luck,

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

> Ted Newman hull #176
 | >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> This month, save on all Harken products. |