[Alberg30] Filling deck holes

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Wed Sep 25 07:29:30 PDT 2002

> Michael said:
>
> I use polyester resin for these type projects, with West colloidal =
> flakes as thickener. I have stuffed fiberglas mat or roving in large =
> holes as reinforcing for the resin (the bigger the mess, the more my =
> sense of accomplishment :) My thinking is that's what the boat was built =
> with, the proportions between resin/hardener are less critical, and, =
> last but not least, it is much cheaper. My local hardware store has it =
> in 55 gal. drums-bring your own container. I use wide mouth peanut =
> butter jars.

I agree with this sentiment in general, though I use epoxy for small
things like old bolt holes.  Epoxy does have a significant advantage
in adhesive power.  This means less grinding for such small patches.
Epoxy sticks to polyester, but polyester will not stick to epoxy.

People should be aware that some fillers designed for epoxy do not
mix well with polyester (and vice versa).  Lately I've been relying
heavily on some glass beads in West Marine's Sea-Fit brand.  They
mix will with either resin, spread smoothly, sands easily and
provides a hard surface.

> Polyester, and I think epoxy too, shrinks as part of it's curing =
> process. Several applications are necessary for filling large holes, to =
> reduce possibility of water infiltration.

Most epoxies do not shrink, or at least not significantly.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> This month, save on all Harken products. |