[Alberg30] Binoculars advert?

Neal Jackson NJackson at npr.org
Wed Sep 25 09:58:11 PDT 2002

Well, in case anyone gives a hoot, I have the Fujinon Polaris (not Mariner)
7x50, and I can surely endorse them!  They are terrific with eyeglasses
(something about a lot of "eye relief").  The Mariner model is cheaper and
said to be not as good, though I have never compared them side by side.

The Polaris is pretty pricey, but they are solid -- indeed bombproof -- from
my experience.  A number of experts I consulted before buying them said
there is just no comparison for sailing. Several said to avoid the version
with the built-in compass, as it adds little of practical value and reduces
some of the light coming through the lens (important at night).

So look for sales and other discount opportunities.  I got mine from B&H
Photo over a year ago.  I saw a pretty good factory rebate deal on them
recently...maybe it's across the whole lineup and that's what Sailnet was
offering).  Also, they come up on eBay from time to time (though they are
bid up quickly...also make sure they are the Polaris and not another model).

In any event they continue to get the top rankings in their class by
Practical Sailor and I understand why.  BTW, I've got no financial or other
interest in them or Fujinon, so please take this as unbiased.