[Alberg30] winches

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Mon Apr 14 11:15:31 PDT 2003

Dear List,

the time has finally arrived to float test my old bronze doorstop winches.

I have the good fortune to be able to choose what to replace them with.

Unfortunately, I can see no way that I can replace them with geared
self-tailers while maintaining fiscal solvency. The gearing being more
important than the self-tailing, I therefore am choosing between a pair
of chrome-bronze barient #21s and a pair of aluminum alloy Lewmar #40's
- neither of which are self-tailing.

Can any of you recommend which of these is more desirable? I am just
wondering which are most appropriately sized.

thanks for all your sage advice.

J Bergquist
Calliope#287