[Alberg30] Tiller head fittings

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 17 07:57:52 PDT 2003

    When I bought my boat, there was way too much play in the tiller,
mostly due to wear in the holes in the ears so I took the fitting to a
shop to fill the holes and redrill them. Just as the filliing was being
completed, they managed to get things just a wee bit too hot, and the
whole fitting melted. They built me a new one out of stainless, and it
has worked just fine. They did say cutting the keyway was the tricky
part.
    Try to keep the tiller angle close to the cockpit floor to allow the
H bracket to have its maximum leverage support effect on the fitting,
not just the ears. As the tiller gets higher, support from the H bracket
lessens, so wear, especially in soft materials increases. I have also
found the Spinlock tiller extension with the big oval handle useful to
help in this regard, because when standing at the tiller, I can extend
the extension so that the curve of the oval fits under an upper arm and
against a rib-cage very comfortably with lots of leverage for steering.
Don Campbell, White Opal