[Alberg30] Barnacles On Prop

Miabarchet at aol.com Miabarchet at aol.com
Tue Apr 22 16:47:20 PDT 2003

My boat has been sitting at my dock since last Sept. I backed it out of my
slip today and thought that I had run aground. I was barley able to make
heady. I considered my self very fortunate to get it back in the slip. I was
fairly certain I had 2 feet below my keel but I was not moving.

When we finally docked the boat I decided to check the prop, maybe it was
fouled. What I found was that it was entirely covered with barnacles. I am
assuming that is the cause of my problems; kind of like ice on an airfoil not
providing lift.

As I recently became a certified diver I plan to try and clean the prop
myself.
So here are my questions of the association.

1. Is my assumption correct, the barnacles are the cause of my problem?
2. Besides hammer and chisel or a wire brush does anyone have any suggestions
for removing the barnacles?
3. As this is my first experience in brackish water is there any way to keep
barnacles from forming on the prop? It has been my understanding that you
don't put antifouling paint on the prop, or does that just apply to zincs?

Thanks again for being there.
Jim Allocco