[Alberg30] CD25 and the trailer

James Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 27 08:44:35 PDT 2003

Tom

Other than a couple very short trips, I only towed the boat behind a U-Haul.  When I bought her I was in the Army and needed a way to make major moves.  Once that was over the trailer was sold.  As to the boat, I owned her for 17 years and she never failed me.  My wife and I put a lot of miles on her, but the step up to the A30 was like finding your dream house.  We could stand up, move about, life just became better.  And then there is the "family", which you are meeting over the internet.

The other remarks about choice of power are very true.  Even a long shaft OB will cavitate when powering into seas and heavy wakes.  The lack of an alternator on an OB is also a major limitation.  You will have to tie up and recharge about every three days - this assumes light use of the battery.  Also an OB sucks gas, 12 gallons (2 tanks) go quickly.  Also don't make the mistake of putting a big OB on the CD25 - she doesn't like the extra weight that far aft and you will have to keep the hatch open when under power.  I tried every trick in the book to keep the engine from suffocating in its own exhaust - none work, and it doesn't smell too good either.

All that said, I still like the boat and am very happy that I owned one.  I'm also happy I moved up to the A30.

Don't forget either boat  the A30 or the CD25 has some age on it.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35