[Alberg30] Sealing the cockpit drains

Tim Williams tim at goosemonkey.com
Mon Apr 28 05:40:52 PDT 2003

So my brother Andy and I are getting LinGin ready for the season and are tackling numerous maintenance tasks.  Here's the first of what I'm sure are many questions to come...

Over the winter we noticed that the cockpit drains were leaking in the engine compartment.  Upon further investigate we found that the bolts that hold the drain fitting into the deck have corroded and are no longer holding the fitting snug against the deck so water sneaks around them.  However, in the engine compartment the hoses that connect them to the thru holes are in good shape and, over time, have pretty much welded themselves to the drain fittings as well as the thru holes.  We took out the old bolts yesterday, and before we made this job bigger by cutting the hoses up, decided to ask for some advice.

We'd like to put new bolts in and be done with it, but we think it would be wise to seal around the fittings with 5200.  We can only raise the fittings about 1/16" up off the deck (the hoses don't allow for much vertical play).  We thought we'd push some 5200 in as best we could and would also try to smear some around the fitting from the engine compartment.  We'd put 5200 on the bolts as well.  Is this too much of a short cut?  Would it just make us feel like it was sealed, but really we'd be leaking water into the hull?

Thanks for your help!

--Tim Williams
LinGin 244