[Alberg30] Atlas' lever, and moving a diesel

Jack Vanderloo jvdloo at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 3 07:50:49 PST 2003

Here's how I removed a Volvo-Penta MD7A - probably among the heavier
engines out there.

Material:
1- 8'-10' foot 4"x4" (can't recall exact length; 8' probably sufficient)
2 - 2' 3' sections of 2"x6"
3- extremely sturdy eye bolts, nuts and washers
Extenal hoist and tackle
Chains

Procedure:
Project 4x4 for'ard into cabin and back over the engine.
Thru'bolt one of the eye bolts facing down 3 to 4" in from one end of
4x4 and one facing up.
Use large washers.
Position one of the eye bolts over centre of gravity of engine and
secure to lifting points.
Trace back along 4x4 to a point that will just clear the bridgedeck/lip
to companionway hatch.
(Can't recall exactly - probably 1 to 1 1/2')
Install second eye bolt facing up.  Again, use washers.
This is the lifting point (fulcrum) of one massive lever.
Position one person at free end of lever.  Make sure he/she stays there!
Hand pressure at free end is sufficient to allow another person to free
up the engine mount nuts.
Lift whole contraption a couple of inches and back engine out into cabin.
Hoist to clear companionway - all the while controlling free end.
Set engine down on bed of 2x6s on bridgedeck.
Reposition external lifting point to free bolt near centre of gravity of
engine.
Hoist away.

Jack Vanderloo
Aldabi