[Alberg30] Bonding of hull fittings?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Apr 7 19:31:56 PDT 2003

Be aware that this can just as easily cause problems as solve them.  The
only thru-hull that's ever corroded on my boat is the engine intake.
That's because it's effectively coupled to the engine by the saltwater
in the hose.  If the zinc wears down too far (as it did last summer), I
get corrosion

  - George

EddieDiver at aol.com wrote:
> There are 2 schools of thought on the wisdom or necessity of bonding
> thru-hulls, engine, prop shaft, etc. together with copper wire. This, as I
> understand it, is to help prevent damage from different electrical potentials
> aboard  a boat. Every thing i have read about the subject talks about this
> potential problem when in "seawater". I take this to be salt water.
>
> My question; are there many Albergs that have this bonding assembly? Those in
> salt water? Those in fresh water?
>
> Emotional Rescue, #303, is in fresh Chicago lake water.

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy