[Alberg30] 2 blade prop

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Apr 8 18:27:08 PDT 2003

Yves,

I would keep the old 2 blade.  In fact, I've done so.  The fact is, when
in reverse you've effectively got a large fixed rudder and a small
moveable keel, because the waterflow is reversed.  No prop is going to
change that.  Instead, you should learn how to use what you've got.

To make the boat turn well, you need water flowing past the rudder, and
that means the boat has to be moving.  Going forward, you can motor
slowly and the prop will add to the water flow.  In reverse, you need to
be moving faster, so give it a good jolt of gas.

Then, you don't want to be going too fast, so shift to neutral and let
the boat's momentum carry you.  In fact, I like to give a smaller burst
of forward, but not enough to slow the boat down.  It seems to help the
waterflow across the rudder.

It works, but because of the prop walk, you'll find the boat wants to
turn in one direction (bow to starboard, stern to port).  Use that, and
choose to turn that way, even if you have to turn further.

  - George

Yves Parenteau wrote:
> I'm a first time boat owner and just wondering if I should replace the 2
> blade prop for a 3 blade right away before the boat hits the water. It's a
> $600 dollars expense I could do without right now. any comments please( I
> concern about reverse capabilities )

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy