[Alberg30] Boom Vang

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Wed Apr 9 08:35:26 PDT 2003

I have a garhauer solid boom vang and attached the boom and mast
fittings with 1/4 self taping screws and locite. The result is just
fine, but today, I think I would look at drilling and taping - I am
going to have  learning curve with this with the new masthead fitting I
got with stephen's help. The fittings should fit like a glove to your
mast and boom. The installation directions they send are adequate.I
think I would put the mast fitting on first. If the mast is down, it
would be easier. The real trick is in positioning the boom fitting. You
need the mast up for this. When I did  this on the CAL, I got the
fitting  in too close and had to move it further out. In retrospect this
is an opportunity for "measuring twice and cutting once." - in this case
drilling once. It helps if you know that the boom is supposed to come
level to the deck when you put tension on the vang line. When I read the
directions,  I thought that the weight of the boom and the sail were
supposed to do that. Not true, it turns out. Compression was required to
bring the boom level to the deck.

Garhauer custom cuts the boom based on measurements you give  - mainly,
the height boom off the deck, if  I remember correctly. I think it is a
good idea to fix the height of the boom off the deck according the
measurement you provided. I think Mark at Garhauer likes to have the
distance from the deck to the boom and from the boom to be identical and
sizes the vangs with that in mind unless you request something
different. Once your mast fitting is in place, you should be able to use
a little math to figure out the distance from the mast pin to the boom
pin and thus get a good idea about where to position the boom fitting.
When you take this measurement, you need to pay attention to the fact
that the pin position on the boom and mast fittings are located several
inches out from the boom or mast as the case may be. This means that the
pin to pin measurement on the vang will be shorter - I think six inches
shorter - than the total distance from the mast to the boom. The
Pythagoreon Theorem  is useful to calcuate the total distance if you
decide to fix the boom height.

 Another way to look at it is to measure the pin to pin distance on the
vang as it was delivered. If I am correct, the vang comes fully
compressed. What I can  not remember from the CAL is if the vang was
fully compressed when the boom was parallel to the deck or if there was
room for more compression. Today, I think I would call Mark at Garhauer
and consult with him.

To have better control of the drilling process - and not have to drill
the boom holes lying on your back,  I would mark the boom and then take
it off the boat and positon it where you have an easier angle to work on
the drilling.

 I would also suggest calling and talking to Mark at garhauer. He
should be able to help. I hope this explanation helps. I am a little
concerned that it may not be as clear and precise as it could be.

I can't help you on the snatch blocks. I have neither the blocks or
salt in my water.

>>> GreekSailor at worldnet.att.net 04/09/03 09:27AM >>>
The Garhauer Boom Vang finally showed up yesterday after ordering it at
the
A/C show. Does anyone know what type of fasteners to use on this
installation? The holes on the ( boom / mast ) plates seem to be 5/16.

I also ordered 4 snatch blocks from them and it seems to me that the
way
they are designed they would collect allot of salt crystals in their
bearings, does anyone have any experience on these items?

Chris Katehis
Kasia #383