[Alberg30] Main Halyard

Bill Blevins billblevins at mac.com
Mon Apr 21 07:06:44 PDT 2003

If you have a really old mast and the original brown/maroon fiber/mesh-coated sheave, you will have to replace it if you want to widen the groove to accomodate larger rope haylards.

3/8" halyard MAY fit on it  "as is" though. (Probably not "in" the groove.)

I'm not very good with the technical terms. I'll post a link to a photo of an old sheave tomorrow.

Bill Blevins
Sabrina, #158
--

On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 10:08AM, Villo Marmei <marmei_v at pathcom.com> wrote:

>Hi there....
>You do not have to change the radius of the sheave on top of the
>mast....but you have to change the profile of the groove to accommodate the
>new rope. Grooves for steel cable and rope are different size....for the
>steel cable the groove is way narrower than for rope.
>Villo Marmei
>AHTI  KC-618
>

>At 09:36 AM 4/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>>Chris,
>>
>>Did you change the radius of the sheave curve to accomodate the rope?
>>
>>  - George
>>
>>greeksailor at att.net wrote:
>>>2 seasons ago I decided to change from wire to all rope main halyard. I
>>>noticed that there is much chafing going on around the sheave area.
>>>Now I know many have made the wire halyard to all rope change; has anyone
>>>else
>>>experienced chafe of the all rope halyard at the mast top while the sail
>>>is raised, particularly on the second reef?
>>
>>--
>>   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
>>   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>>   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
>>   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
>>                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

Bill Blevins
Fredericksburg.com