[Alberg30] old-style icebox conversion

Bill Blevins billblevins at mac.com
Tue Apr 22 03:04:33 PDT 2003

I'd love to see photos of your icebox conversion project. I thought about what to do with that space all winter, after I removed the old icebox.

I eventually did nothing other than put a temporary flat countertop there, which is a great improvement (and I agree - tons of surface area now!), but until I decide how to finish my project, we still have an Igloo on the floor in the bow. I have photos but haven't posted them anywhere yet.

Bill Blevins

On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 06:52PM, Charles Haggart <chaggart at sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Dear J.:
>
>Great Idea the sooner you do it the better you life will be. I did the
>exact same thing three years ago. Not only do you get a better ice box
>you also free up tons of surface area ( I use it for my nav station).
>
>My cockpit hatch had already been fibre glassed over so I only had to
>deal with the interior. I can take pictures for you if you'd like.
>
>I did the conversion three years ago but I am only getting around to the
>Ice box this year. Up until now I have use two Colman coolers that fit
>perfectly in the space under the counter.
>
>I am using a medium sized Rubbermaid (roughneck) storage container as my
>icebox, and I am filling up the space around it with Styrofoam. I am
>using the blue stuff. I laid several layers of tinfoil down on all
>surfaces before I put any Styrofoam down and I'll wrap the container in
>tinfoil as well. It will stop radiated heat. I am using that spray foam
>to fill any gaps. I have got at least 5 inches against the engine side
>and fore & aft. The hull side varies due to the curve, the least I have
>is two inches where the bottom outer edge of the container meets the
>Styrofoam. I plan to put two inches on the top.
>
>I'll take some pictures tomorrow.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Charles Haggart #150

Bill Blevins