[Alberg30] Barnacles On Prop

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Wed Apr 23 05:21:18 PDT 2003

Regarding the amount of barnacles necessary to really upset the prop flow,
it doesn't take much.  Even modest fouling can reduce the prop's effeciency
by a huge percentage.  When there is a lot of fouling it can become
difficult to get much of any headway.

For scrapers,  I use cheap wooden handled scrrapers that have a slot in the
end and take a replaeable blade with a right angle at the edge.  I think
they are made by Red Devel and come in several sizes.  I propably haven't
described them very well but the blade is probably about 1"  wide and it
allows you to pull the scraper toward you to do the work rather than push
with a normal paint scraper.  To me this seems to make it a lot easier and
allows me to do it  with a dive mask and snorkel.  As was mentioned,  wear
some type of glove;  those suckers can do a number on your hands.