[Alberg30] Barnacles on the Gulf

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Apr 23 10:02:22 PDT 2003

Scott,

It depends.  When they haul the boat, they usually give it a good
pressure washing while it's hanging in the slings.  If the bottom paint
was doing its job, that will remove most of the growth.  You'll probably
still have to scrape some places, particularly the prop and the bottom
of the keel.  The area under the slings will also be missed  It's easier
to do if you scrape it early.

  - George

Scott Wallace wrote:
> Hi Alberg Friends,
>
> We just bought a 1962 Rhodes Meridian on the Gulf Coast of Florida below
> Tampa...she has been in the water for about 19 months...do you think we
> will need to scrape the bottom after hauling her?  I am not familiar
> with salt water growth and don't know if a good pressure washing will be
> needed or we will need to scape, scrape scrape and wash...

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy