[Alberg30] Wood for Spreaders

Bob bob at fox.nstn.ca
Thu Apr 24 09:56:52 PDT 2003

You can use spar varnish or even use spar varnish over epoxy, but what
do you want to maintain more often; spar varnish or paint?

I had an old wooden boat with a new mahogany plywood deck. I thought how
nice it would be to epoxy the deck and then apply 9 coats of "high"
quality varnish. Well after a couple of years the sun broke down the
epoxy bond with deck and it peeled off in strips and sheets, even with
all the many coats of yearly applied varnish.

I built an 8'Sabot sailing/rowing dinghy using the stitch and glue/epoxy
method. It needs little yearly care with mostly paint touch up. It is
epoxied with paint cover.

Epoxy takes a beating from high UV. Paint filters UV more than spar
varnish.
Someone on the list suggested painting the tops of spreaders and
varnishing the bottoms of the spreaders.

You mentioned sitka spruce, it is light and strong, I built 2 DN
iceboats with sitka spruce. It was the wood of choice for the hulls,
runner planks and masts at that time.

I also had a 23' Star class sloop that had a 34' varnished sitka spruce
mast with sitka spruce spreaders, if that is of any help to you in your
choice of wood! It is still sailing today.

Bob
A30 #560