[Alberg30] Common Problems

Bill Blevins billblevins at mac.com
Sun Apr 27 04:55:47 PDT 2003

We bought a 1966 A30 last summer that had the deck beam fix version 1
(mid-70's - using the cold rolled 3/4 inch bar on the aft side of the
beam) and I had to fix it again using the current two-bar preferred
method this winter because the beam was twisting towards the floor on
the forward side.

You will know if it's been done if there is a aluminum bar attached to
the beam on the older boats. Not sure about the newer versions.

Anyway, it was a relatively easy and inexpensive fix for such an
important part of the boat. 1 full day and I did it for under $200.

The chain plate bolts are easily accessible to inspect visually. You
can certainly tell if they are twisted up or down on each end by
looking, but removing them for a full inspection is a bit tougher. I've
not removed mine yet. The surveyor for mine said they looked new,
though they had been painted over already (not sure how he knew that).

If I weren't into "fixer-upper" projects, and I was set on an A30
(which I highly recommend) I'd probably start my shopping for a boat in
the 20K range.

I've put 10K worth of maintenance and upgrades into my 10K A30 already
in one year. (Normal stuff - (not "extra" stuff like radars, GPS,
autopilots or XM radio) - lines, blocks, old through hulls, hoses,
clamps, sails, anchor, fenders, batteries, depth sounder, speed log,
compass, replaced broken head, replaced broken glass, paint, nav
lights).

You get what you pay for, but in my case, I love what I bought since I
get to fix her up with the stuff I choose. The core boat is awesome and
well worth what I paid. Actually, I think I got a steal, buying
basically a one family boat in pretty much sound, original 1966
condition.

You are lucky if you live near Annapolis because there are many owners
who will show you their boats. Sometimes I wish Annapolis was closer to
the Potomac!

Tracy & Bill Blevins
"Sabrina" #158
http://mySailingPhotos.com/Members/Sabrina/