[Alberg30] Preparing to Buy

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Apr 28 06:33:07 PDT 2003

Tom,

While I've been busy this weekend, you've already gotten a lot of
replies, but I'll tell you my story, anyway.  The short version:

We had a Sunfish.  When we bought the A30, we'd taken some sailing
lessons (in Rainbows and Tanzer 22s), but we knew nothing about
operating and maintaining a "big" boat.  We knew nothing about cruising.

The first cruise we did with the Association, as we motored slowly into
the first anchorage, wondering what to do next, the Cruising Commodore
called over, "Want to raft up with us?"

I said, "Sure, how do I do that?"  He told us what to do and we've
learned a heck of a lot since then.  There's always someone to help with
any problem you might have (except a malfunctioning MSD).  There's
always someone doing something in a way you hadn't considered.  It's
just that easy.

  - George

P.S.  Where are you located?

Tom DeWitt wrote:
> So I'm sitting here on a Saturday morning looking at a listing for an A30 to
> sail on the Chesapeake and contemplating the purchase.  There are so many
> questions in my head that my eyebrows start to hurt.  I need a shot of
> courage from all those who have gone before me.   Can anybody remember this
> moment of truth and relate?  I've done a fair bit of sailing, mostly one
> design dinghies, but I've never owned a boat.  Tell me I'm not crazy!  Then
> I'll see if my questions are tolerated.

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy