[Alberg30] Stuffing Box

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 28 20:04:25 PDT 2003

If it is a water lubricated bearing, it should drip. If it has dripless
packing (Special Teflon lubricated bearing) then it should not. Check for
heat. I was on a power boat (please forgive me) and the stuffing box was so
hot you could fry an egg on the it - by the way, we made it to the dock but
we radioed ahead so the travelift was waiting before we sank. The boat was a
Trojan 32; a demo model at the Annapolis boat show; heavily discounted; but
my friend decided against the purchase.