[Alberg30] 2GM20F Oil Blow-out

Voyager Toronto voyagertoronto at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 10 18:35:53 PDT 2003

I've completed installation of a 2GM20F; when I cranked the engine for the
first time, it spilled a mess of oil from what turns out to be an unplugged
threaded hole near the lube-oil filter, behind and partially hidden by the
engine foot. As the manual refers to pump-out when doing an oil-change, I
presume this is not a drain hole shipped to me without the plug. I can see
what I take to be the oil-pressure sender near and in front of the lube-oil
filter (towards the front of the engine) with it's wire lead, so I presume
this hole is not for a missing sending unit. The manual does caution not to
overfill with oil as the excess may blow out of the "breather". Is this the
"breather" hole? If so, something is wrong because the engine was not
overfilled, and oil continues to blow out when the engine is cranked even
the oil level dipstick showing below maximum fill. Does any 2GM20F owner
have any experience with this? What's this hole, what's my problem, and how
do I solve it?
Thanks,
Calvin, Voyager #30.