[Alberg30] New Spreaders.

Jonathan Whittingham whittle at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 27 12:37:00 PDT 2003

Dear Listers,
                   I have an Alberg 30 out here on the West
Coast(Victoria,BC). I have had the mast dropped to do a total refit of
old haywire rigging. The spreaders were in very sorry shape. They were
oak of some sort. I am replacing them with some very fine edgegrain
oldgrowth fir that came out of the beams in my basement. 6x6x 20feet
long, virtually clear that had been supporting the house since 1912. I
could not resist the urge! My question is this. On the traditional rig
setup for the Alberg, should  the spreaders be reset with any fore or
aft rake, or should they(I suspect) fly out at  90 degrees to the centre
line through the fore and aft of the boat. Just not sure what is correct
here and would geatly appreciate any replies. Many thanks in advance.
Jonathan Whittingham.