[Alberg30] Traveler

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Fri Aug 8 12:58:54 PDT 2003

Bill;

My perspective comes from sailing my Rhodes 19 which has a center cockpit
traveler in the same relative position to the tiller as a bridge deck
traveler would have on an A30.  The biggest advantage would seem to be in
accessibility to the helmsman while sailing because it would be just forward
of where he/she sits.  Although the situation is probably different on an
A30, I would often adjust the traveler instead of loosen the sheet to
compensate for gusts and having the traveler lines next to me helped.  In
the current location it seems less accessible, at least to the helmsman (on
a tiller boat, not a wheel boat).  The racers would have to opine as to how
it impacts crew work.  I can't figure out if it is necessary to have a crew
member aft of the helmsman full time for the operation of the secondary
winches and main sheet.

One disadvantage is it is in the way, particularly under power or at the
dock.  I was constantly slacking the main and tightening the preventers I
installed so I could get the sheet and blocks out of the way.  I understand
that all of the leach load goes to the end of the boom putting the sheet in
tension and the boom in compression.  Moving the sheet load from the end of
the boom would add bending force to the boom.  Since I have heard it is
desirable to reinforce A30 booms with vangs (much greater forces than would
probably be added by mid boom sheeting), it might be advisable to run the
numbers before adding even more bending force with a mid boom traveler.

Roger Kingsland
A30 #148

PS - loved your story on the return home.  I picked up my A30 at Cobb
Island, which I believe is on the way up the Potomac to your slip.