[Alberg30] Scientific Lightning Pervention

Robert Kirk isobar at cablespeed.com
Fri Aug 22 08:17:30 PDT 2003

Roger L. Kingsland wrote:
>[...]
>Several years ago I bought bought this funny thing for the boat because it
>clained to reduce the chance of lightning strikes and, lacking that,
>protect the boat if lightning does strike.  Interesting proposition, if it
>doesn't work the way we would like it to, at least it will help.
>
>It looks a little like a porcupine head on a stick at the top of the mast
>but is a great conversation starter. [...]

I have another lightning gadget that came with Isobar, that's supposed to
mitigate a lightning strike.

It's a six foot length of index finger thick, twisted wire cable with a
clamp at one end. As J Bergquist pointed out, the Alberg's rig is insulated
from the sea, so when you see a thunderstorm coming you are supposed to
clamp this cable to the bottom of a shroud and let the end trail in the
water, thus creating a temporary path to ground for the rig. If lightning
does hit, the current is supposed to pass harmlessly from the rig into the
water.

I don't know how effective this grounding system is. Has anyone had any
experience or hearsay?

As I say, I haven't used it, but like Roger's porcupine, it keeps the
lightning at bay (so far) by just resting in the bottom of the lazarette.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181