[Alberg30] purchase boat or charter boat

Matthew Hay haymatthew_ at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 31 15:19:35 PST 2003

Hi Jim,
I bought my 1968 Alberg 30 two years ago for a whopping $5,000.00.  Needles
to say it needed lots of work.  I can remember writing the check for the
purchase in January and then spending the rest of the winter driving to the
yard and looking at her.  I broke the bank on the purchase, so I literally
just looked at her, and had zero money for improvements.  I was able to see
a survey the seller had that was a few years old, it basically said the boat
was "safe" and the engine should work, and provided me with a long list of
"much needed improvements".  Regardless, my strategy was to sail my
girlfriend to Block Island and Martha's Vineyard in the spring to ask her to
marry me.  I was hoping that even if we failed in our maiden voyage, the
entire voyage would not be lost, if I attained one opportune moment.   So I
spent a little more money on safety equipment (new horse-shoe, life jackets,
extinguishers, emergency wood wedges that I put next to each thu-hull ect)
bottom paint, and a rigid dingy, also a new whip for the one piece of
electronics that came with the boat, a renaissance era VHF radio.  I then
waited for the spring, washed the interior with a clorox solution, painted
the bottom, and launched!  Other then a few funny looks from some more
"proper" sailors.  The boat worked absolutely perfect, the engine worked
fine, we had a very good maiden voyage and got engaged!  After our two week
trip I started writing to this association and started doing the needed boat
projects.  I started with my exhaust system and have continued to go from
one project to the next but only when I have had time and money to do so.
The best part is that I have been able to keep sailing the entire time.
Maine has some of the oldest and richest maritime history in the united
states.  I do not think there is any question to the validity of owning a
boat there.  After all "Down East" is a nautical expression. One of the best
things about owning a boat is pride of ownership.  This feeling of pride can
not be purchased through a charter.
Good Luck and Happy New Year!
Matthew #314

providers now.  https://broadband.msn.com