[Alberg30] Dismasting of Matchmaker.

cbcurrier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Wed Dec 3 04:25:07 PST 2003

Best solution for attaching the van bail to the mast is a through bolt
for both sides. Not one for each. This provides strength across the mast
and makes it easier to service.  If you use ss bolts don't forget to
insulate with silicone between the ss & the exposed aluminum you have
created with the hole drilling.

BTW: this is a much better solution than connecting the vang to the deck
plate. Structurally it has the strength of the mast and the flexibility
of the bail to hold the vang. The old system that my boat Infinity had
was nothing more then a plate with a poorly designed bail that broke
after a few years non use & then some great racing. If you attach to the
deck you are at great risk of it pulling out. Believe me the torque on
the vang is tremendous.

C.B. Currier
Annapolis, MD
Infinity #57