[Alberg30] How do I back this boat?

William Wallace tristan at one.net
Sun Dec 28 15:25:11 PST 2003

Hi Tim,

I started out with the Ensign's older Carl Alberg designed  sister, the
Pearson Electra...what a great handling little boat!  She was our first
full keel boat.  When I left the dock in reverse, I would turn the
outboard engine and tiller in the direction I wanted to go in reverse
and I would swing right on out.  Then I would fight my 5 hp Tohatsu OB
into forward after entering the neutral zone for a brief second.  The
Tohatsu had a cheap plastic lever to control the transmission, and it
was always a fight to change gears, but pointing the tiller and motor
in the direction I wanted to back up, worked great. I had a three
bladed prop, too!

Scott Wallace, Seafarer Rhodes Meridian