[Alberg30] Caulk, and teak oil

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Sat Feb 1 04:49:27 PST 2003

   I used Armada on the teak on my Alberg. It was easy to apply (three coats
needed the first time. then one coat per year after that). It lasted as
advertised, and I was quite happy with it. Cetol and Armada are basically
the same thing but with slightly different colors. You do realize that both
products are not "clear" (contain dyes), don't you? In point of fact, Armada
and Cetol are (were) the only products that are compatible with each other.
If you want to use any other finish, you have to strip the old finish
completely.
   As to caulking, my current boat has teak decks which I had to recaulk
last winter. The old caulking had to be completely stripped out and the
channel cleaned. The best caulking to use is Boatlife's two part sealant
type P. This is for "real teak seams". If you have the decorative teak seams
on the newer style Albergs, their Teak Deck sealant (one part) is MUCH
easier to use. (the two part is real sloppy, but does a good job). See:
http://www.boatlife.com/howto.htm
These sealants are the only ones I found that don't require the use of a
primer to seal against the teak.
Regards,
Brian       ex#497