[Alberg30] Plastic insulation burns.

EddieDiver at aol.com EddieDiver at aol.com
Sun Feb 23 16:56:48 PST 2003

While reading the Alberg Manual, I noticed that some skippers are thermal
insulating the engine side of their ice boxes and sound insulating their
engine cover/companionway stairs with rigid insulation. The insulation of
choice seems to be polyisocyanurate or Styrofoam (which is Dow's trade name
for closed cell polyethylene foam insulation).

Be advised that both of these plastic insulations will easily burn and when
they burn, can give off dense black smoke and very noxious fumes. Theu used
to be called "flame-proof" until the government stepped in. Now the
literature states that they will only burn until the source of the flame
dies. Huh?

When most single materials are fire tested, as opposed to assemblies of
different materials, they are tested in accordance with the American
Standards and Testing Materials Association (ASTM) test E-84 The Steiner
Tunnel Test. This is a rectangular box approx. 2 ft. wide by 3 feet high by
25 feet long. The top is removable so that they can affix the material being
tested to the underside of the top. There are glass inspection ports along
the long side for observation.

A gas fire is started at one end, a measured amount and speed of air is
induced at the same end. At the opposite end there is a chimney and a
measuring device to test for amount and density of smoke. How fast the flame
spreads along the material being tested determines it's Flame Spread Rating.
The other number is Smoke Contribution.

Notice that the test is horizontal. No matter that most rigid insulation  of
this type is used to insulate vertical side walls of building construction.

Sound insulation requires density to reduce engine noises. Foam insulation
does little, if any, good.  A heavy lead foil would be much better to reduce
sound transmission.

I would strongly suggest that this insulation be removed. If it can't be
removed, cover the face and edges with gypsum board glued on with
construction adhesive. Make sure that the adhesive does not contain solvents
that will dissolve the insulation.

Ed. Schroeder #303, Architect/ Materials Consultant

 |     New England Ropes on Sale;  EXAMPLE: 1/2 inch Sta-Set only 51 cents per foot     |
 | http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=25719 |