[Alberg30] Re: TBT

Amy & David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 15 07:42:42 PST 2003

All -

I can tell you the results of my personal research.  Before my ALberg 30, I
owned a trailerable boat (Rob Roy 23).  I painted it with (expensive)
Interlux TBT paint & launched in April.  Boat was in the worst possible
condidtions - warm, tidal salt water with lots of organics run-off.  By
June, bottom was covered with barnacles, etc.  By November, when I hauled
out, growth was 4 - 6" thick - sea squirts, barnacles, sponges, you name it.
Fish were literally jumbing up to feed on the bottom of the boat as it came
out of the water.

I laughed when I read that they were banning this stuff as damaging to
marine life.  I try to be very environmentally conscious, but TBT bottom
paint had to be the least effective stuff I used in 10 years of salt-water
boating (I am in the brackish Pamlico Sound/Neuse River are now).

Okay, now I have that off my chest, I feel better.

David Swanson
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229