[Alberg30] When to use polyester and not

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Feb 19 16:09:31 PST 2003

Greg,

I believe that Gougeon Brothers only makes epoxy.  I use Evercoat Boat
Yard polyester resin.  It's cheap and works just fine.  For a finish
coat, painting the resin with PVA causes it to cure all the way to the
surface.  Polyester doesn't have the adhesive power of epoxy, so you
always have to rough up the surface if you're going on top of resin
that's fully cured.  The book This Old Boat (see
http://www.alberg30.org/store/Amazon.html) has a good introduction for
working with polyester.

Polyester has some advantages over epoxy.  It stands up to UV.  It's
cheaper.  It's more forgiving of catalyst mixing errors.  Epoxy, on the
other hand, is adhesive and more waterproof.

  - George

greg wrote:
> I am about to do some glass work and have always used the West Sys. I have
> wanted to try the polyester resins but can't find any dos and don'ts  regarding
> its use with existing or original construction. Any pointers.
>
> Kindest Regards- Greg
   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

UPDATED: http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html