[Alberg30] Plastic insulation burns.

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Feb 24 08:12:41 PST 2003

EddieDiver at aol.com wrote:
> While reading the Alberg Manual, I noticed that some skippers are thermal
> insulating the engine side of their ice boxes and sound insulating their
> engine cover/companionway stairs with rigid insulation. The insulation of
> choice seems to be polyisocyanurate or Styrofoam (which is Dow's trade name
> for closed cell polyethylene foam insulation).
>
> Be advised that both of these plastic insulations will easily burn and when
> they burn, can give off dense black smoke and very noxious fumes. Theu used
> to be called "flame-proof" until the government stepped in. Now the
> literature states that they will only burn until the source of the flame
> dies. Huh?

Ed, the fiberglass will burn, giving off dense black smoke and noxious
fumes, too.  And it will support combustion on it's own, continuing to
burn after the source of flames dies.  Fire is a hazard on any boat, but
I don't think the ice box insulation is particularly worrisome.

  - George

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

 |     New England Ropes on Sale;  EXAMPLE: 1/2 inch Sta-Set only 51 cents per foot     |
 | http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=25719 |