[Alberg30] Plastic insulation burns.

EddieDiver at aol.com EddieDiver at aol.com
Mon Feb 24 16:01:06 PST 2003

George; I don't know what the reference to fiberglass is. I did not mention
fiberglass. Of course it burns. When the McCormick Place burned down, the
fiberglass formboard for the roof structure, being above the sprinklers,
burned like mad. It took down the entire building ,as we now know. The
industry had told us, prior to that fire, that glass fibers would not burn.
No, but the filler holding the glass fibers together did.

My point was to be very cynical regarding claims to fire ratings. Know what
the various terms and "approvals" really mean.

As to the suggestion to cover the insulation with gypsum board, I was
obviously wrong. I was thinking as an architect instead of a sailor. Don't
kill the messenger, however. Cover the plastic with something that won't burn.

I still feel strongly that plastic insulation in the engine compartment,
particularly with gas engines, is putting a source of combustible, very smoky
and noxious material right at the exit out of the cabin and right next to the
fire.

I wonder what the Coast Guard would say when they inspect a boat with plastic
insulation on the engine cover/ stair?
Ed. Schroeder #303 Emotional Rescue

 |     New England Ropes on Sale;  EXAMPLE: 1/2 inch Sta-Set only 51 cents per foot     |
 | http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=25719 |