[Alberg30] a-4 paint and maintenance

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Wed Jan 15 13:16:43 PST 2003

Dear List,

I am going to do some maintenance on my A4, and one of the things I'd
like to do is repaint some of the parts to prevent them from rusting. I
noticed that Moyer Marine sells A4 paint for $18 per can. Is there
something special about this paint? It seems awfully expensive to me.

2 other things I want to do are replace the rear seal, and replace one
of the manifold studs (the aftermost one), which is broken. Has anybody
recently replaced a rear seal? Is that difficult to do? Should I be able
to do it without removing the engine from the boat? I am planning to
take the engine off its bed and put it on blocks in the cabin.

As far as replacing that manifold stud, I heard that I should be able to
drill it out and then put in a new one, but that a helicoil is not the
best thing to use. Has anybody got a good suggestion about procedure for
doing this job?

I also plan to rebuild my fuel pump (so that I can make sure that
diaphragm is brand new), and *MAYBE* convert to freshwater cooling (I
already read the previous discussion on that score). Any other
recommended maintenance that I *might as well* undertake to do as long
as the engine is in such an easily accessible position?I would love to
install a diesel, but it just doesn't fit this year's budget or my
current operational profile.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions!

J Bergquist
Calliope #287

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html