[Alberg30] Instruments

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Thu Jan 2 03:04:08 PST 2003

Hi Bill,
   As Alfredo suggested, here's my 2 cents worth.
If you plan on ever adding wind data (speed and direction), check out the
Nexus Systems. I found them most cost effective once you add the wind info.
I installed the 3000 package on my alberg and loved it so much that I added
a seperate (second) head that shows ALL the wind data seperately. To show my
love of it one more step, it was the first upgrade I bought for my new 39'
cutter when I bought her. I have no connection of any sort with the company,
except I'm a very satisfied customer.
   The Nexus System set ups are similar to a marinized computer set up.
There are inputs (transducers), a Central Processing Unit, and a display.
There are 3 basic systems to start and all can be expanded or upgraded. The
1000 system is just depth and speed, the 2000 includes wind, and the 3000
includes compass. The only difference in these systems is the number of
transducers included. All three have one CPU and one "Multi" display head.
Other transducers and / or display heads can be added at any convienient
time. The Multi display head lets you view all available info by scrolling
through different functions by the push of a button on the head. I got tired
of scrolling so I added a Wind Data display head that shows all wind info.
The basic screen set up on this gives you apparent wind (both digital and
analog), true wind (analog), wind speed (digital), and a trend indicator
that can show change in several different parameters. This leaves the Multi
Head free to display other info. I always had mine set up showing boat speed
and course with a minimum depth alarm running in the background. This way I
had all good boat info showing all the time, unless I wandered into
somewhere with less than 8' of water. Then the alarm would beep and the
multi head would flash showing the depth until I found my way back to more
than 8' of water (when it would automatically revert to normal display
mode).
   Quite an extensive instrument set up. Sounds Expensive too. When I bought
it for Free Spirit, the 3000 system was about $200.00 more than other
suppliers Wind Info (just apparent speed and
direction) alone. If I had gone with a 2000 system, it would have been
cheaper than "others" wind info alone.
Here is the Nexus Web site:
http://www.silva.se/bruntonmarine/
Both Sailnet and Defender have had the best prices when I've purchased my
parts.
   On my current boat, I purchased the 2000 System and their under deck
Hydraulic Autopilot pack (which added the compass transducer, thereby making
it a full 3000 system with autopilot that steers to compass, wind direction,
or GPS waypoint). All this was barely more than most other equivalent
Autopilot set ups alone.
   Anyway, enough salesmanship for Nexus. If you want more info, Email me
direct (or leave it on the list for others to read and comment on (as I
prefer)).
All the Best in the New Year,
Brian    ex#497   /   Calico Jack - '82 Landfall 39 #66

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |