[Alberg30] Diesel replacement

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Jan 7 18:52:05 PST 2003

This topic seems to have triggered a lot of interest.  Personally, I
plan to replace my Atomic 4 with a "new" Atomic 4.  For local usage, I
don't think a diesel is worth the cost and aggravation.  If I were
heading off long-distance, I might change my mind (as did Matt Blaine).
  More likely, I'd go ahead and try it before committing to an engine
replacement.  After all, I might not find such cruising to my liking.
Or I might find it not a problem.  Certainly people have cruised the
waterway and even down to the Exumas in a gas-powered Alberg 30.

For another opinion, see Jim Davis' article on putting a Yanmar in an
older Alberg 30.  He's just sent me a copy and I posted it at
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Diesel/YanmarInOlderBoats.html
  While it's about the older boats, there's plenty to be learned for
those with newer boats, too.

  - George

Matthew Hay wrote:
> In the next year or two my fiancé and I would like to go some distance
> in our 1968 Alberg, namely ICW and Abacos.  I currently have an A-tomic
> four that works. However I am worried that on a longer trip I would
> spend too much time worrying about and fixing my saltwater cooled A4.
> When making short off shore passages I am not one to motor unless things
> are really getting tiresome.  But, I find that I have a difficult time
> convincing other people on the boat that the right thing to do is wait
> for the wind.  So I motor and worry while everyone else is happy to be
> moving again.  (Now that I have blamed everyone else) I am looking for a
> diesel replacement.  I have interest in the Nanni 3.75HE. 21HP 3 cyl
> Marine Diesel and the Kubota BZ482 (13.5HP) or BD722 (20 HP).  What
> engines do you have?  What engine is the easiest to install in the
> Alberg A4 mounts?  Is anyone familiar with the Nanni it seams to be the
> least expensive.
> Thank you,
> Matthew #314

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange.
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html