[Alberg30] Bermuda Info?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Thu Jan 9 08:43:21 PST 2003

> Brian and Elaine Timmins said:
>
> Hi Group,
>    Two other A30 members and I are planning a trip to Bermuda for this coming June/July.   Our preparations are going OK (mostly anyway), but there is a book we're looking for and can't find. Admittedly it is out of print and probably out of date, but it is the only such book available and probably has some timeless information in it.
>    Does anyone have a copy we could borrow, buy, or copy? (or know where we could find one)
> "The Yachting Guide to Bermuda"  published by the Bermuda Maritime Museum.

OK, I asked a friend of mine who's been to Bermuda a number of time
and he replied:

  The book is out of print as they indicated; we spent 6 wks there
  this summer, without the book, but found the locals told us all
  the good spots to go.

  There's a pub from the government that talks about clearing in
  and all - it's a must-have, and is on the web site (bermuda.com
  or something like that).

  You need the complete chart set from DMA. And it turns out that
  no one cruises Bermuda; everyone stops in St Georges or Hamilton
  and that's it. We saw only one or two boats there that were, like
  us, exploring the various sounds and bays.

  Everything is really well marked, almost as good as the USA. It's
  not like the Caribbean! Very easy and safe to move around. Lots
  of reefs, of course.  If coming from Norfolk/Charleston et al
  head south of the island and pick up Gibb's Hill. North there's
  too many reefs.

 - George

  Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
  May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
  you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                           from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html