[Alberg30] Diesel Replacement

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Thu Jan 9 18:36:29 PST 2003

Something to ponder is:

The EPA is going to crack down on diesel engines because most of them are
hideous polluters; it is just the nature of the current diesels so I imagine in
the next few years they will either be made to burn much cleaner or will not be
allowed.

Also, I have restored old British sports cars and know that even after 100,000
miles, you can rebuild most engines - I know because I have rebuilt a few and
they ran beautifully!

Most engines in marine use suffer from too little use!  It is a widely known
fact to mechanics that if an engine doesn't have a chance to run up to
operating temperature (for most 160 - 180 F), or if they are subject to short
jaunts (even in the water), they will build hydrocarbons and acids in the oil,
that will pose big problems in terms of premature wear and tear on vital parts.

Also, gasoline stabilizer is important to use; the fuel system needs to be
clean and fresh fuel used or the carbs gum up!

Scott Wallace

Matthew Hay wrote:

> After reading all the listing responses to re-powering. It seems that
> everyone has at least given the issue some thought.  This high response
> maintains that it is an issue. I know very little about engines, and last
> summer I had a problems with my exhaust (replaced and made ready for a
> diesel), oil pressure (started dropping all the way to zero?), alternator
> (rebuilt), instrument panel (messing up electrical system somehow), and the
> newest problem is the engine trying to start on its own if I have the
> batteries turned on?  Many of these problems still exist.  When I would call
> a mechanic they would refuse to spend there time looking at an A-tomic four.
>   And I could not even get them to come look at the engine. But according to
> your responses it seems possible for an engine to run for forty or fifty
> years.  But in some cases you my spend half of your summer fixing it, and
> spending money on it, while it sits at the dock.  It also seems that one day
> your engine may have to be replaced.  And if you do replace it, and take
> long voyages which require auxiliary power, you may as well have the
> benefits of the diesel. So like so many things, it comes down to money.  I
> paid $6500.00 for my 1968 Alberg 30. On one hand it is funny that a diesel
> replacement will cost more then my boat.  On the other I think that the
> Alberg is a proven well made vessel that warrants the investment.  Anyway
> thank you for the debate.  I have my winter pondering material!  I always
> sleep in the main saloon with my head towards the bow so I can look out the
> companion way.
> Matthew #314

> The new MSN 8 is here: Try it free* for 2 months
> http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html