[Alberg30] a-4 paint and maintenance

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Wed Jan 15 13:29:29 PST 2003

JB

P.S. don't forget to wear safety goggles or safety glasses with side shields
when using any hammer devices or chisels...also when using vice grips, be
careful so no small pieces of metal suddenly break free and get in your eyes!

Scott

J Bergquist wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I am going to do some maintenance on my A4, and one of the things I'd
> like to do is repaint some of the parts to prevent them from rusting. I
> noticed that Moyer Marine sells A4 paint for $18 per can. Is there
> something special about this paint? It seems awfully expensive to me.
>
> 2 other things I want to do are replace the rear seal, and replace one
> of the manifold studs (the aftermost one), which is broken. Has anybody
> recently replaced a rear seal? Is that difficult to do? Should I be able
> to do it without removing the engine from the boat? I am planning to
> take the engine off its bed and put it on blocks in the cabin.
>
> As far as replacing that manifold stud, I heard that I should be able to
> drill it out and then put in a new one, but that a helicoil is not the
> best thing to use. Has anybody got a good suggestion about procedure for
> doing this job?
>
> I also plan to rebuild my fuel pump (so that I can make sure that
> diaphragm is brand new), and *MAYBE* convert to freshwater cooling (I
> already read the previous discussion on that score). Any other
> recommended maintenance that I *might as well* undertake to do as long
> as the engine is in such an easily accessible position?I would love to
> install a diesel, but it just doesn't fit this year's budget or my
> current operational profile.
>
> Thanks for all your advice and suggestions!
>
> J Bergquist
> Calliope #287

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html