[Alberg30] Roller Furling on head sail

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Sun Jan 19 07:25:40 PST 2003

Tim,

I have the Pro Furl installed on #114. Prior to installation, I did not like
the angles that the Pro Furl extrusion was intersecting the genny halyard
which brought concern how it would perform with halyard wrap and may limit
the full hoist capability. I also spoke with the Manager of Pro Furl who is
an Alberg owner and asked how he installed the unit with current mast head
set up. Fortunately for Mike, Pro Furl purchased a new mast and boom set up
for his boat (I could be so lucky) as the poster boat for older
installations.

I designed the new mast head around current production boats eliminating the
use of the sheeve in the mast for main halyard and brought everything to the
mast head. The installation went flawlessly and all performance aspect are
working great. I have currently have a production mast head which was an
inexpensive solution considering the expense of the Pro Furl and a new suit
of sales. The other factors of the new mast head are the same with the
exception of the skirt diameter entering the mast which will be built for
each boat.

It will be interesting to see if the mast measurements are the same when all
the masts are measured for production.

Stephen