[Alberg30] Roller Furling on head sail

chrishardy chrishardy at tds.net
Mon Jan 20 10:53:52 PST 2003

I    had a very severe halyard wrap with a Harken furler two years ago
while alone offshore in very windy conditions. I was unable to either
furl or extend the 150% sail to drop it.( I was thankful I was sailing
anAlberg) It was my first experience with a roller reefer/furling.
Harken does not use a wrap stop like the Profurl unit, they rely on
proper halyard lead and tension. I have since added a lanyard to my
headsail in order to get the swivel very high on the foil so very little
if any halyard remains exposed. This is essential in the Harken units.
In addition do not use rope clutches to tension furler halyards as when
they slip and the swivel lowers a bit you are inviting wrap. I have gone
to a cleat on the mast base to secure my halyard beyond the clutch.
(clutches are handy for raising headsails with luff tapes while you are
by yourself as you run back and forth feeding and raising). If I where
in the market for a furler I would go with the profurl I think the are a
better unit for cruising. Also spend a little extra for the largest unit
appropriate for your boat ,going to the smaller side is not a good idea.
Since my bad experience I have noticed many Harken Installations where
the swivel is fairly low with alot of Halyard showing and this is very
bad. Also never use a winch to furl with a roller reefer. If you do and
you have a wrap you will damage the forestay and very possibly loose the
whole rig over the side.   Chris

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html