[Alberg30] winch handles

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Jan 20 10:58:27 PST 2003

Dave,

Those handles are pretty hard to find, I think.  I've known people
to buy a new winch just because it came with the handle, and the
handle wasn't for sale alone.

At http://members.aol.com/MMayfield9/myguests.html a Cal 25 owner
(Robert Thompson, Hull 638 XANADU rkthomps at mail.wiscnet.net)
states, "Many older boats have the old-style Merriman or South Coast
"Top-Loader" winches, which use a flat hanle that fits in a slot.
I have constructed new handles for my boat of 3/8 inch aluminum
plate, with teak handles turning on 3/8" stainless bolt shafts.
Very easy to make!"  This comment was made in 1998, however, so
the email address may no longer be good.

Another possiblity is to contact Rig-Rite
(http://www.rigrite.com/Hardware/winches/Merriman_Winches.html) as
they have some pawls and springs.  Maybe they know something of
handles, too.

   Bacon & Associates, Inc.
   116 Legion Ave.
   Annapolis, MD 21401
   410-263-4880
   http://www.baconsails.com/
   shop hours: mon-fri 10am-5:30pm EST

> Dave Terrell said:
>
> Mine are the aft winches - I would read them as secondary and so maybe #
> 2 if they put two different sizes on. Could you give me the number for
> Bacons?
>
> > My boat has a set of old classic bronze (I almost wrote
> old-fashioned)
> > winches. I am referring to the aft set of winches. No winch handles
> came
> > with the boat. The part of the winch handle that would insert into
> the
> > winch would have a flat piece of bar stock with a spring device to
> keep
> > the handle in  place.
> >
> > My question is twofold: 1) what is the size of the winch? 2) where
> can
> > one get a "new" winch handle?
> >
> > Are there any thoughts on making one? it does not seem too
> difficult.

  Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
  May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
  you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                           from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html