[Alberg30] breaking ice

Gordon LACO mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Jan 20 12:28:58 PST 2003

on 1/20/03 2:27 PM, J Bergquist at j at ship.saic.com wrote:

> I know that there are a number of Canadian folks who read this list, and
> you're probably totally frozen over right now. Well, down in Annapolis,
> we've been receiving quite a lot of your air for sometime now, but I
> want you to know that it hasn't been able to put a damper on going
> sailing, YET.
>
> If any of you are interested, you can follow the links below to check
> out some pictures of the experimental work I have been doing to support
> and validate the conclusions of my latest research paper, entitled:
>
> "Numerical Methods for Analyzing the Icebreaking Performance of an
> International 5o5 in Light Air."
>
> http://www.int505.org/fleet19/events/Frostbite20030118/MVC-263S.JPG
>
> http://www.int505.org/fleet19/events/Frostbite20030118/MVC-264S.JPG
>
> http://www.int505.org/fleet19/events/Frostbite20030118/MVC-265S.JPG
>
> Who says we don't get ice here in Annapolis? I suppose that if the ice
> gets any thicker, I'm going to have to bag the 5o5 (even if she DOES
> have a kevlar hull) in favor of Calliope...the woodburning stove is a
> key feature when it's this cold.
>
> Sorry to be so off-topic. I thought this might make some of you laugh...
Hey there -

That's not off topic.... I did a little ice breaking with my A30 #426 this
November.  She made a fine icebreaker - we moved along at about one knot
with the old Atomic bomb at 1/2 throttle.  Only dinged the prop a little and
no damage to the hull.  The whole thing was not very dramatic.  Just like a
"real" ice breaker we pressed down the ice until it broke - rode over it and
watched the fractured pans close up behind us again.  There was several
inches of snow on the ice and that made a nice cushion for us.

And the weather... around here (southern Ontario) we say winter weather
comes from Minnisota!

Gord KC426 Surprise

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html