[Alberg30] wefax

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri Jan 24 04:24:57 PST 2003

Weatherfax is frequency encoded.  A high-pitched tone is white and a
low-pitched tone is black, or vice-versa; I really don't remember.  Back
before computers had sound cards, a common low-cost way to get this data
into the computer was via the serial port.  A couple of diodes converted
the audio signal into a square wave.  A program in the computer then
measured the pulse-width of the square wave signal on the serial port
received data pin.

  - George

Brian and Elaine Timmins wrote:
> George,
>   To the uninitiated (me), what is a zero crossing detector.
>    I'm very interested in receiving wefax for our upcoming Bermuda trip.
> I've picked up a Sangean 909 and was given a laptop with JVComm Wefax and a
> connecting cord for the sound card. Then I stumbled on a real deal for the
> Coretex Wefax 95 program that goes into the serial port. Unfortunately, I've
> been too busy (and in my midwinter doldrums) to get to try the Coretex yet.
> I wasn't successful with the JVComm, but only tried twice.

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html